Thursday 22 April 2021

k.d. lang: “Crying” in the ‘80s

k.d. lang and Roy Orbison won a Grammy
for the recording of "Crying" in 1989,
a song Orbison originally made popular in 1961.
Source: https://www.radioking.com/artist/roy-orbison-k-d-lang
(May be subject to copyright)
She was best known for being a “cowpunk” with the eccentric style to match back in the '80s.

Then she attracted international attention by singing a duet with a rock and roll legend. It was not only part of a theatrical soundtrack, with all the attention that can garner, but showcased her beautiful voice.


Once k.d. lang and Roy Orbison’s version of his classic ballad “Crying” hit the airwaves, there was no turning back.

lang would go on to have international hit singles and albums, win awards, move the masses during the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics, be inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, receive a star on Canada’s Walk of Fame, be inducted in the Alberta Order of Excellence and much more.

Yet it all began in the 1980s.

Prelude
k.d. lang was born in Edmonton but grew up in Consort, Alberta. When I went to university and lived in student residence, everyone I met from Consort, and there was more than one, had a k.d. lang story.

I first saw her in the mid-1980s when she was dressed modelling her unique cowboy punk style. She was singing and recording songs and received the 1985 Juno for Most Promising Female Vocalist. I remember her clearly that night. She wore a wedding dress to the event and showed it off when she accepted her award.

None of that really impressed me. I could not really take her seriously.

That changed just two short years later.

“Crying”
In 1987, I went off to Edmonton to study at the University of Alberta. I started hanging out on Fifth Kelsey, the all-girls’ floor, because we had a lot in common. A lot of the girls loved music, as did I, and MuchMusic was always playing on the TV in the lounge.

One day I heard this song.

It sounded like Roy Orbison, but then this powerful female voice belted out the chorus. Her voice was amazing and was the very definition of crooning.

I made my way to the TV and saw that sure enough it was Orbison. But who was singing with him?

I asked one of the girls who told me it was k.d. lang. She had never heard of lang before that, but said she was Canadian.

Really, I could not believe that, because I still had this goofy “Cowpunk” image in my head.

Then I saw the end credits.

There staring me in the face was k.d. lang, looking mature, and professional, and maybe most importantly – serious.

It was incredible.

Chart success
“Crying” came out in 1987 and went all the way to number two on the Canadian singles charts. It peaked at number 28 on Billboard’s Adult Contemporary Chart and number 42 on Billboard’s Hot Country Singles Chart.

Yet, the song earned Orbison and lang a Grammy in 1989 for Best Country Collaboration with Vocals. lang also won Entertainer of the Year from the Canadian Country Music Association.

“Hiding Out”
Another thing I thought I noticed the first time I saw that video for “Crying” was an image of Jon Cryer. To that point he was best know for his portray of Duckie in the John Hughes' film “Pretty in Pink”. Someone had alluded to the song being part of a soundtrack.

Then a few months later, in the summer of 1988, I was back at home from school living on the family farm. My parents had given me a VCR for Christmas a couple years earlier and part of the deal was 50 free movies from Baker’s Appliances in Lethbridge.

My sister lived in Lethbridge and came home every week for Sunday dinner. She started to bring home movies, cashing in on those free ones.

One Sunday, she brought this movie that she thought looked good. It was about a man in his mid 20s who sees something he shouldn’t and is targeted by the mob. Fearing for his life, he escapes his would be killers by returning to his home town. There, he shaves his beard, dyes his hair and pretends to be a student at his younger brother’s high school.

Jon Cryer played that man fleeing for his life.

Part way through the movie all of a sudden I hear something familiar – “Crying” by Roy Orbison and k.d. lang.

It was then that I put all the pieces together.

“Hiding Out” was not a monster hit but I sure enjoyed it as another one of those teen angst movie of the period. Plus it had Jon Cryer, who I just loved, and a really good soundtrack.

Parting thoughts
The rest is history. Once k.d. lang got noticed, her talent was obvious. She would go on to chart success with singles such as “Constant Craving”, commercial success, win Junos and Grammys, and make her mark in so many ways.

My most recent memory is her soulful, awe-inspiring version of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” during the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. She absolutely captivated the audience, and me.

Fittingly, “Hallelujah” was released in the 1980s.

That’s when k.d. lang got her big break with “Crying” in the 1980s.

No comments:

Post a Comment