Tuesday 27 April 2021

John Mellencamp part one: The roar of John Cougar

John Mellencamp's iconic 1982 album
"American Fool" when he still went by the name John Cougar.
Source: https://listn.to/album/john-mellencamp~american-fool
(May be subject to copyright)
I have always loved John Mellencamp's music. He is such a great storyteller and I really just love his sound.

One item I ticked off my bucket list happened in 2018 at the Enmax Centre in Lethbridge – I saw John Mellencamp live in concert.

It was all I had hoped for too.

As he tore through his set, each song reminded me of a different part of his career, and where I was at the time.

He was a pretty big part of my soundtrack in the 1980s, and it all started when he really wasn’t even able to use the name John Mellencamp.

Those were the days of John Cougar.

Pre-history
John Mellencamp, of German descent, was born and raised in Indiana. I knew there was something I immediately liked about him.

He put out his first album in 1976 under the name Johnny Cougar because his manager thought the German name Mellencamp would be too hard to market. Two more albums would follow to close out the decade.

He was yet to break through, but that would all change in the ‘80s.

Dawn of the decade
In 1980, Mellencamp released the album “Nothin’ Matters and What if it Did” producing two top 40 hits – “This Time”which peaked at number 27 on Billboard’s Hot 100, and “Ain’t Even Done With the Night” which peaked at number 17.

This album caught my attention when I joined Columbia House. I had already started to like Mellencamp’s songs and the Columbia House catalogue had the equivalent of a bargain bin where older albums were sold at a discount. One of them was “Nothin’ Matters and What if it Did”. At the time I already heard that John Cougar was trying to foster this rebel image and I thought this album title fit right in with that image.

The other album I saw in that catalogue bargain bin was the one that changed everything for John Cougar.

American Fool
"American Fool", released in 1982, was an iconic album with a couple iconic songs to match. “Hurts so Good” was released in April and went all the way to number two on the charts. It stayed at number two for four weeks and in the top 10 for 16 weeks. It also went on to win the Grammy for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance. “Jack and Diane” followed in July of 1982, and went all the way to number one where it stayed for four weeks.

Both those songs were a staple of junior high dances. I recall one of my classmates, Mike, loved John Cougar and sang his songs at recess and lunch when we were in junior high. He was the one who first told me the names of these songs and the album. We also had a classmate named Jack and another named Deane, so he and a couple other guys used to sing their version of the song to Jack. It was your typical junior high humour.

Name change
Mellencamp had enough pull after “American Fool” to at least add his real last name to John Cougar. In 1983 he released the album “Uh-Huh” under the awkward-sounding name John Cougar Mellencamp.

The album hit the top 10 and produced two top 10 singles. “Pink Houses” reached number eight on the Billboard Hot 100, while “Crumblin’ Down” reached number nine. A third single “Authority Song” hit number 15.

Parting thoughts
There are many reasons to love John Mellencamp. His songs have great lyrics that tell powerful stories. The key is in the details like Jack and Diane being down at the Tasty Freeze. His music is part country twang, a little folksy, and a little blues which, when you put it all together, creates this great sound.

It resonates with me because I can really relate to what he is talking about.

It all began when he was John Cougar. It really took hold when he got his own name back, and was most apparent with his next album, which he released in 1985. Say tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment