Friday 5 May 2023

Yuk-Yuk’s: More about the company than the jokes

Yuk Yuk's comedy clubcame to Edmonton in 1985.
Source: https://www.yukyuks.com/edmontong
(May be subject to copyright)

The other day I was thinking about comedy clubs, and the first one that came to mind was Yuk Yuk’s. It is a Canadian staple and a lot of great Canadian comedians have gone through there.

Yuk Yuk’s came to Edmonton in 1985 and I went there just once, in 1989.

More than the jokes and the bits, I remember more who I was with.

His name was Bruce Freadrich and, from 1988-1992, we did a lot of interesting things together.

He was a person who opened my horizons, showed me new things, and made me realize for the first time that I could do the things I only saw on television growing up.

One of those interesting things was a trip to a place I had only heard of, and would never have gone to if it wasn’t for Bruce – Yuk-Yuk’s Comedy Club.

A night out
I don’t remember much about the night because I was so tired from everything else I was doing. The only comedy bit I recall was a comedian talking about how dirty hockey sounded. As an example he said, “And now he’s banging away in the box”.

More, I remember Bruce’s laugh.

Parting thoughts
For years after, when I tended bar on the University of Alberta campus, and when I covered comedy events in Fort Macleod and Claresholm, it was always something special when the comedians came from Yuk Yuk’s.

It is unfortunate that I was too tired to remember more about my night out at Yuk Yuk’s. But I do remember the atmosphere, and the company.

Bruce Freadrich was the one who took me to the Mongolian Food Experience, a Chris DeBurgh concert, and midnight runs to “Ralfin’ Ronny’s” as he called McDonald’s. We went to Margarita Mondays and Wing Wednesdays at Campus Earl’s, for massive burgers at Fuddruckers where he gave the name “Banquo” to the staff when they called on the microphone that his burger was ready, and to a couple dozen movies.

So, whenever I hear Yuk Yuk’s, I think about Bruce Freadrich and all the fond memories I have.

Thanks Bruce, wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment