Sunday 21 May 2023

Strange Advance’s “We Run”: Remembering the quote board

"At the point of the knife, you never see anyone.
How the strong will survive, at the end of their gun.
We run." ~ Strange Advance


It was those words I saw written on a dry erase board that made me realize, I didn’t know the actual words until I saw them in writing.

I heard “We Run” by Strange Advance today, and it reminded me of a friend I met in 1988 who did some neat things.

Moving in
It was the fall of 1988 and I was moving into Kelsey Hall for my second year of university. I moved in a week early because I had training as a floor coordinator.

I had gone up with my best friend Chris Vining, who was also going to training. We, along with my parents, were busy getting stuff out of our vehicles to load on a trolley to take to our new home.

That’s when a guy wearing a burgundy tam o’shanter appeared, and helped us move in. I was moving into room 528K on the fifth floor and it turned out he had just moved into 428K, directly below me.

His name was Bruce Freadrich.

Quote wall
Bruce did a lot of interesting things. We had these dry erase boards outside our doors for people to write on, and Bruce was an English major. Consequently, he started writing quotes on his board, and updated them regularly.

I was down on his floor for a number of different reasons, and always had to pass his door and saw the newest quote on my way by.

The quotes were all interesting but, honestly, at the age of 18 I did not recognize a single one of them.

That all changed one day when I read the quote and recognized it instantly.

It was a song, from a few years earlier when I was just getting into music.

“We Run”
It was the chorus from “We Run” by Strange Advance. It was a song that came out in those few months after I got my first ever ghetto blaster for Christmas of 1984. Due, I am sure, to Canadian content requirements, it seemed “We Run” was on the radio all the time.

I really liked the song, but I always thought the chorus “At the point of tonight, you never see anyone” but that makes noooo sense.

It is a Canadian classic now, but when I checked in on how it did on the charts, it peaked at number 28 in Canada. I don’t think it was even released in the States.

Still, it appears on many Canadian ‘80s compilations I have come across online.

Parting thoughts
Music can conjure up some interesting memories.

Whenever I hear “We Run”, I am taken back to that 1988-1989 school year and a friend who exposed me to a lot of things. Some I had not only seen, but dreamed of doing.

I will always be grateful to Bruce Freadrich for that.

And for setting me straight on the lyrics of a great song.

No comments:

Post a Comment