Saturday 6 May 2023

Air Supply: My sister’s brush with fame


A few weeks ago, the Lethbridge Herald published a photo of the band Air Supply in 1981 in their feature on past issues.

I knew that very well, because not only did my sister Barb go to that concert, she had a brush with fame.

After that, when I got into music in 1984, I became very familiar with Air Supply. They were your go-to band for a good, heart-felt ballad.

Dinner for two
My sister had a couple friends she hung out with, going out to movies and having dinner with on a regular basis. They also travelled together to Toronto, took sky-diving lessons, and took in the occasional concert.

They got tickets to Air Supply, for a Sunday night concert at the Sportsplex in Lethbridge. Since, the show didn’t start until like 7:30 p.m., they went to the El Rancho on Mayor Magrath Drive for supper.

Back then, the El Rancho had a good restaurant, plus it was on the way to the Sportsplex.

After they sat down and looked at the menu, Barb’s friend paused and tapped Barb on the arm.

“I think that’s Air Supply,” she said.

“What?” my sister responded.

Her friend was sure that was Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock who essentially were Air Supply.

“We should get their autographs,” she said.

My sister shrugged, and wondered what they could have signed.

They produced a couple post cards, which had not yet been used.

So they went over to the table, and sure enough, it was Air Supply.

Moreover, they happily signed the post cards for my sister and her friend.

The next time I saw my sister, she told me the story, and showed me the post card. That was so cool.

The band
That story always stuck with me, and how nice those guys from Air Supply were to my sister. So, I kept an ear out for Air Supply when I started listening to music. Soon I heard them on the radio, saw them on the Grammys and American Music Awards, and even saw them perform on Solid Gold, one Saturday night.

I discovered the the band was from Australia, primarily made up of two men – Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock. I am pretty sure those were the two members my sister encountered in Lethbridge.

They had a bunch of singles that all sounded alike, but I liked that sound. Those songs included “Making Love out of Nothing at All”, which was one of their last hit singles, but the first one I heard.

In fact, they had eight songs that hit the top five on the Billboard Hot 100. That streak started with “Lost in Love” in 1979 which peaked at number three. “All out of Love” followed in 1980 which hit number two, and later that year “Every Woman in the World” went to number five.

Air Supply had their first and only number one single in 1981 with “The One that You Love”, following that up the same year with “Here I Am” which peaked at number five.

They opened 1982 with “Sweet Dreams” which hit number five, then later in the year had “Even the Nights Are Better” which also peaked at number five.

The band had their last top five hit in 1983 with the aforementioned “Making Love Out of Nothing at All” which hit number two. The song was written and composed by Jim Steinman who had collaborated with Meat Loaf on a lot of stuff including “Bat Out of Hell.”

My brush with fame
Interestingly, a few years later I heard retired pro hockey player Dave “The Hammer” Schultz was signing autographs, and I asked my Mom if we could go. After all, we were going to Lethbridge anyway.

Sure enough she said yes. When we got to town, I wondered what to get signed. My Mom, remembering my sister’s experience, suggested a couple post cards. We ended up getting those cards signed, but my Mom also caved and bought a copy of Schultz’s book, which he autographed for me.

Parting thoughts
It seemed in the ‘80s everyone had an Air Supply tape in their case. A good chunk of the people I knew had their cases organized alphabetically so Air Supply was right their at the top.

They were a band that had one speed – mellow. Yet that very sound defined the ballad.

Their songs obviously resonated with listeners, illustrated by the fact they had eight top five singles in a four-year period, including a number one song and two that went to number two.

Anytime you heard an Air Supply song, you knew exactly what you were getting – a soulful song about love and loss and romance and redemption.

And no one did it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment