Thursday 27 April 2023

Raquel Welch: Versatile actor

Raquel Welch in a guest starring role in "Mork and Mindy"
with Robin Williams on November 18, 1979.

Source: Disney General Entertainment Content via Getty Images
https://pagesix.com/2023/02/15/
raquel-welch-owned-up-to-her-diva-behavior-on-mork-mindy-set/
(May be subject to copyright)
She was the leader of an alien race that threatened Mork from Ork when I first encountered Raquel Welch but, as I look back I had a longer history with the actor.

I was sad to hear she passed away recently.

On guard!
It was the first movie I ever saw in the theatre, but I am not sure why. All I remember is going to the College Cinema in the Woolco Mall in Lethbridge to see “The Three Musketeers”. That was probably around 1974, because I don’t think I was in school yet. Less than a year later, we were back at College Cinema to see the sequel “The Four Muskateers”. I later learned the movies were filmed back-to-back, which accounts for their release so close together.

Not only was that the first movie I ever saw in the theatre, but the first time I saw Raquel Welch. She was playing Constance, dressmaker to the queen who had an affair with one of the musketeers, played by Michael York.

Going deep inside
One of my favourite video games on Intellivision was called “Microsurgeon”. It was designed by Imagic, an independent design studio, made up of former Atari and Intellivision designers. “Microsurgeon” took the player down to the cellular level, operating a ship equipped to literally kill disease in the body of a sick patient.

This was the same premise of a movie I always wanted to see called “The Fantastic Voyage”. My brother had even left behind the paperback when he went off to college. Yet, I never saw that movie.

Then, I came back to Southern Alberta in November of 1998 and started going to the Lethbridge Public Library every day it was open. I discovered they had an extensive movie collection, all free with the price of a library card.

One day, there sitting on the shelf, was “The Fantastic Voyage”. I flipped out my card and took the movie home.

That night I made another discovery – Raquel Welch was in the movie, and she was awesome.

Mork and Mindy
It was all the talk, including “TV Guide” – Raquel Welch was going to be on “Mork and Mindy”. She had a lot of star power and sex appeal, even among elementary boys.

It was about the speed of elementary boys too, as she appeared as an alien commander hunting Mork from Ork.

I recall it being good, but hesitate watching it as an adult for fear it isn’t as good as I remember.

The rest of the decade
Raquel Welch would appear in some powerful TV movies including “The Legend of Walks Far Woman” in 1982, about an aboriginal woman who kills her violent husband and is banished from her tribe; “Right to Die” in 1987, about a woman battling ALS who wants the right to die; and “Scandal in a Small Town” in 1988, about a woman who sues the local school board after her daughter is subjected to anti-Semitic propaganda in her history class.

She would continue acting on until 2017, appearing in everything from “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman” and “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” to “Seinfeld”, “Spin City”, “Eight Simple Rules”, and “CSI: Miami”.

Parting thoughts
Raquel Welch probably had her greatest success before the 1980s. However, in the ‘80s, she took her act to television where she could have a good time in a comedy such as “Mork and Mindy”, then take a serious turn in a string of TV movies, tackling some serious issues such as the right to die and anti-Semitism in the classroom.

It just showed that, as much of a sex object as she was portrayed to be, she was also a good actor.

Now that is versatility.

No comments:

Post a Comment