Saturday 29 April 2023

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts “I Love Rock ‘n Roll”: Remembering the air band


Every time I hear “I Love Rock ‘n Roll” by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts I am reminded of one of those unique aspects of junior high school culture – he air band.

It was Grade 8, so 1982-1983, at St. Joseph’s School in Coaldale, and the Student’s Union decided to put on an air band contest.

What resulted is something that was partly courageous, partly weird, and all ‘80s.

Do it again
In Grade 8, I was not really into music yet. That was still a year away. So the idea of an air band was foreign to me. The idea of being in an air band was alien to me. I was not much for getting up in front of my peers and pretending to sing a song, mostly out of fear, but also because I didn’t really know the words to any songs then, just parts of songs.

However, there were some entries from our class, and the Grade 9 class. The Grade 8 entry was my friend and neighbour Mike, and some of the girls in our class, singing “I Love Rock ‘n Roll”, which was one of the most popular songs of the time. One of the Grade 9 entries did the same song. Another group did “Telefone” by Sheena Easton. The Grade 9s got more into it because virtually the whole Student’s Union executive was Grade 9.

After everyone went, Mr. Matson, the staff advisor and Mrs. Virginallo, the vice-principal, said there would be no winner. No one really tried. There were no costumes, no energy, and it seemed like everyone was going through the motions.

They challenged all the groups to do it again.

Second chance
Mike and his group made the most of the second chance. The girls went crazy putting eye liner, rouge or blush, and lip liner on his face. He also wore what looked like a woman’s clothes.

That all puzzled me until one of the girls told me the singer of “I Love Rock ‘n Roll” was a woman.

More than that, Mike went out and took the stage in the school gym by storm. He was dancing all over the place and, because he knew all the words, made the lip sync almost perfect.

Not only did it blow out the other air band doing the same song, but won the whole thing.

Parting thoughts
The thought of standing in front of the whole school, mouthing the words to a song, and trying to dance around was pretty terrifying, even today. But that’s what an air band was.

I have to admit, in my immature junior high mind, I did find it a bit odd for a guy to wear make up and girls’ clothes. Yet, that’s also part of an air band – getting into character. It really is no different than acting.

And that’s why Mike and the girls won that air band. He looked and moved just like Joan Jett.

That’s why he killed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment