Sunday 4 October 2020

Cruising with Queen’s “The Works”

The album cover of "The Works" by Queen, published in 1984.
Source: https://genius.com/albums/Queen/The-works
(May be subject to copyright)
One of the most powerful moments in “Bohemian Rhapsody” the movie based on the life of Freddie Mercury, lead singer of the band Queen, is their powerful, show-stopping set at Live Aid, the mammoth 1985 benefit concert to help those suffering drought and famine in Africa.

If you listen closely, two of the songs performed by Queen at Live Aid were not even mentioned anywhere else throughout the movie. Instead, the movie chronicled all Queen’s best-selling hits from “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “We Will Rock You” to ”Another One Bites the Dust”, “We are the Champions” and so much more.

“Radio Ga Ga” and “Hammer to Fall” were two songs that were part of Queen’s most recent album leading up to Live Aid. Later they performed a third called, “Is This the World We Created.”

That album was called “The Works” and I had come to know it well the summer of 1984, through my cousin Fred.

Cruising
Every summer throughout much of junior high and high school, I spent a week, and often two weeks, in Brooks with my cousins.

Fred was the oldest, two years older than me, and the coolest cousin. He was funny, artistic, creative, was in a band and had his own car.

In the life of a high school kid, he had everything.

We spent hours after dark cruising the streets of Brooks. Often, we went to a drive-in movie, because the indoor theatre was only open during the winter, then cruised afterwards.

We always listened to music. “Sports” by Huey Lewis and the News was a big one, and – “The Works” by Queen”.

“The Works”
A few months earlier, I was watching “Solid Gold” on Saturday night on Channel 7, and they were doing their weekly countdown. It was based on the Billboard Hot 100 of the previous week.

There was a song, somewhere in the top 20, that I had not yet heard of. It was called “Radio Ga Ga” by Queen, and all I could think was what an odd name. That, and they will air anything, no matter how non-sensical, if it is written by a popular band.

I was wrong.

The first time Fred stuck “The Works” into his tape deck, the only song I recognized was “Radio Ga Ga” – and it was good. It was, to be fair, the first time I had actually heard that song beginning to end.

Over the next week, I heard that album probably twenty, maybe thirty times, and it was loaded with great songs, some that would appear in very different places.

“Radio Ga Ga”
The song hit number one in 19 countries and peaked at number 16 on the Billbord Hot 100. It will always be one of the seminal songs from that Live Aid performance. In fact, Wikipedia reveals “Radio Ga Ga” was played by Queen at every live show from its release in 1984 until their last concert with Freddie Mercury as lead singer in 1986.

“Hammer to Fall”
It was in 1986 that I went to a movie with my good friend Mat, along with two other friends Dave and Mike. It was kind of a science fiction fantasy film about an immortal battling other immortals, and we just loved it. When we turned to leave when it was over, there were maybe 13 other people in the theatre. It was the first or second day of the movie’s release and it was a bomb. However, it would find a second life on video and beyond, becoming a cult classic, spawning two sequels and a TV series.

It was called, “Highander”, and Queen figured prominently in the soundtrack.

The song was featured, if I recall, in a battle scene.

My friend Dave went on a school trip to Europe later that year. One of the things he brought back was the soundtrack to “Highlander.”

“Is this the World We Created”
This is the most powerful song, touching on themes of poverty and hunger. It has a stripped-down sound, essentially Freddie Mercury singing along to acoustic guitar. His voice just touched your very core with this song. I recall my cousin singing along with it, exuding passion too.

It was performed at Live Aid as an encore.

“I Want to Break Free”
This song was the final single I recall vividly from “The Works”. It is well known for its video where the band dresses in drag and parodies the British soap opera “Coronation Street”, which aired on CBC Channel 9 on peasant vision.

Parting thoughts
Two of the best sources of memories for me in the 1980s were my summers with my Brooks cousins, and watching the Live Aid concert with my best friend Chris Vining in his living room in the summer of 1985.

“The Works” figures prominently in both.

I first encountered it cruising with my cousin, then heard its best parts sung at Live Aid.

When I watched “Bohemian Rhapsody”, the memories came flooding back.

Many considered Queen's set the best performance of Live Aid.

Seeing it twice, 30-plus years apart, I can’t disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment