Saturday 3 October 2020

A eulogy for Magnum: “Looking for Space” by John Denver


The voice sounded familiar, but back in 1987, it was rare to hear actual artists sing their songs on TV. It was a beautiful song that played as Thomas Magnum, as private investigator in Hawaii, walked off.

He apparently had died, signalling the end to seven years of the TV crime drama “Magnum P.I.”

That voice that was, well, angelic, was in fact John Denver's.

The producers had resurrected his song “Looking for Space” to use throughout what they envisioned as the series finale.

“Looking for Space” – the single
John Denver released “Looking for Space” in 1976. He was heavily influenced by Erhard Seminars Training when he wrote it for his ninth album entitled, “Windsong”. According to Wikipedia, Denver described to Billboard Magazine the themes of the song as, “It’s about looking for the definition of who you are, by finding out where you are, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally.”

It peaked at number 29 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was Denver’s seventh number one on Billboard’s Adult Contemporary Chart.

“Looking for Space” – the eulogy
“Magnum P.I.” had been a ratings powerhouse on CBS Thursday nights for years. Then, in 1984, NBC scheduled “The Cosby Show” up against “Magnum P.I.” and the erosion of “Magnum P.I.”’s ratings began. By 1986-1987, the show seemed to have run its course.

In a move that looked on the face of it that seemed intended to kill the show off, CBS moved “Magnum P.I.” to Wednesday nights up against “Dynasty”, another ratings powerhouse.

Meanwhile, the producers of “Magnum P.I.” decided to end the show. The final episode of the seventh season was called, “Limbo”. It centred around Magnum being ambushed, shot and left for dead. Suddenly, he is walking around his own life, guided by Mac, an old friend who had been killed a few seasons earlier. Presumably, Mac was an angel and Magnum was dead. The show ends with Magnum seemingly walking off to heaven.

And “Looking for Space” played almost in its entirety.

It was the perfect song for the moment.

Only something strange happened.

Resurrection
It turned out, “Magnum P.I.” fared very well against “Dynasty” on Wedensday nights. Miraculously, it was renewed for an eighth and final season. Magnum had not died, but instead recovered and the show had a much different ending in the spring of 1988.

Parting thoughts
The odd thing was, I saw no screen credit indicating the song was actually written and performed by John Denver. At that time, hearing pop songs on TV shows was rare, and hearing them sung by their actual performers was even more rare. It had something to do with copyright, but usually when there were pop songs, they were performed by obscure singers who, I assumed, were more affordable. “Miami Vice” changed that, with the use of a lot of popular music and two TV soundtracks that exploded on the radio and the charts.

It was not until the following summer, of 1989, that I borrowed a tape my brother made of John Denver songs. I saw it when I was visiting home, and wondered if in fact “Looking for Space” was a John Denver song, and if it was on that tape. When I plugged it into my ghetto blaster back in my room in Edmonton on the University of Alberta campus, it sure was.

I was listening to that amazing song from “Magnum P.I.”

According to Wikipedia, the song enjoyed a brief resurgence in popularity in 1987.

“Looking for Space” is still my favourite John Denver song. Not only is it powerful with great lyrics, but it reminds me of one of my favourite shows of all time.

I am glad what was intended as a eulogy, turned out not to be the swan song for a great television character.

Instead, it was a prelude of things to come.

4 comments:

  1. This episode was on last night. We watched season 8, episode 1, then 2. Good choice of music for Magnum producers. Had me crying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too saw the Magnum episode just a few weeks ago. I was a big fan, however I had not seen it before. John Denver was one of my favorites also, and when Thomas was shot and the music eventually played , I cried and was filled with sadness. Dang I, a 66 year old man. Good memories

      Delete
  2. There will never be another series like it. They were an excellent team. Even the “lads”, Zeus and Apollo

    ReplyDelete