Saturday, 5 October 2024

Blue Rodeo: Providing the soundtrack of my life

The album cover for Canadian band Blue Rodeo's debut album "Outskirts" in 1987.
Source: https://www.terrybrown.net/albums-2/
(May be subject to copyright)

It was Thanksgiving of 1987, and I had returned home for the first time from university. I had hooked up with some high school friends, and we were cruising down Mayor Magrath Drive in Lethbridge, when it came on the radio. It was a crooning, soulful song that just stuck in my head.

“You’ve got to try…”

I was struck by the fact they were saying “try” and not “cry”.

That was my introduction to Blue Rodeo. Since then, they have become my favourite Canadian band, I have purchased several of their albums, and I have seen them perform live five times.

I was so glad when recently I heard they were inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Outskirts
Blue Rodeo played their first show together in 1985 in Toronto; signed with Risque Disque, an independent Canadian label; and entered the studio in 1986.

The result was “Outskirts”, their debut album, released in March of 1987. It wasn’t until October of 1987 that they released “Try”, which changed everything. It went to number one on the Canadian Country Tracks Chart and number six on the Canadian Top Singles chart.

They also released the title track “Outskirts”, which did not chart; “Rose-Coloured Glasses”, which peaked at number 39 in Canada; and “Rebel”, which peaked at number 71 in Canada. The album peaked at number 20 in Canada.

I really did not hear much Blue Rodeo in the last part of 1987, or the first half of 1988, when “Outskirts” was in circulation and its singles were fresh on the radio.

My exposure to Blue Rodeo increased exponentially in the Fall of 1988. It was my second year of university, and a guy named Dave Turnbull moved onto our floor to start the school year. He had a copy of “Outskirts” on tape, and lent it to me. I immediately plugged it into my ghetto blaster and made a copy.

I played that copy over and over, and I still have it in my storage locker in town. I used to play it when I turned in for the night, lying in bed, dozing off to the sounds of “Heart Like Mine”, “Rose-Coloured Glasses”, “Rebel”, “Joker’s Wild”, “Piranha Pool”, “Outskirts”, “Underground”, “5 Will Get You Six”, “Try”, and “Floating”.

Interestingly, the album is longer than one side of a 90-minute blank tape. I discovered this when the tape ended before “Floating” did. I still have not heard the song, in its entirety.

Musical memories
I have a few odd memories of songs from “Outskirts”.

Delivery man
“Try” had been the first single I heard from “Outskirts”. The second single I heard was “Rebel”. I had a job with a greenhouse in the Summer of 1988, and we were delivering bedding-out plants around Southern Alberta. My boss always had the truck’s radio tuned to 1220 CJOC, a country music station. Suddenly, as we were approaching the greenhouse, I heard “Rebel”. I thought at the time that CJOC was playing the song because any band with rodeo in its title must be a country band.

Going to the office
In my second year of university, I was contemplating running for vice-president of the hall I lived in. One of the perks of the job was an office, located right next to the study hall on the main floor of our building. One day, I had to go see the current vice-president. When I walked into her office, “Underground” was playing on her radio. I thought about that a year later. I did run, won the election, and listened to Blue Rodeo in that very office.

Diamond mining
By the Spring of 1989, “Outskirts” had run its course, and fans awaited a follow-up album. Again, it was Dave Turnbull who told me in March of 1989, as the school year was a month from being over, that Blue Rodeo had a new album out – and it was good.

It took another month and a half, but I finally got to the mall and bought that new album on tape.

It was called “Diamond Mine”, and remains one of my favourite albums, by any artist, of all time.

Immediately, I was struck by how good every song was. “God and Country” was the first song on Side 1, followed by “How Long”, and they were both just great, with a bit of a country-pop feel. Then there was “Love and Understanding”, followed by one of my favourite ballads “Girl of Mine”, and the title track “Diamond Mine”.

One of the most obvious things about Blue Rodeo is how different each lead singer is. Jim Cuddy is a crooner, best showcased with ballads such as “Girl of Mine”. Greg Keelor sounds more like Jim Morrison of The Doors, and that is most evident in “Diamond Mine”.

The first side concludes with “Now and Forever”, another favourite of mine, that has the same sound and feel as “God and Country” and “How Long”.

Cuddy is back on display to start Side 2 with the ballad “House of Dreams”. Keelor and that Doors sound follows with “Nice Try”. Next up are “Fall in Line” and “One Day”, which again are vehicles for Cuddy’s voice. The final three songs are all Keeler with “Florida”, “Fuse”, and “The Ballad of the Dime Store Greaser and the Blonde Mona Lisa”.

“Diamond Mine”, was the first single released, peaking at number seven in Canada; “How Long” hit number 25; “House of Dreams” hit number 49; and “Love and Understanding” didn’t chart. The album “Diamond Mine”, peaked at number four in Canada, and number two on the Canadian Country album chart.

Musical memories 2
I listened to “Diamond Mine” all of that Summer of 1989. Hearing its songs bring back memories of that time and the next year and a half.

Sister act
My friend Joselynne, who also happened to be the outgoing vice-president listening to “Underground” that day, and whose office I took over, was also a Big Sister. She was having a birthday party for her little sister Tessa at Hawrelak Park not too far from the university. I was going with my friend Rav. He had the radio on in his car and the station was doing some sort of feature on Blue Rodeo. All of a sudden “Girl of Mine” was playing. It was never released as a single, so that was the only time I ever heard it on the radio.

Road trip
Early in that Summer of 1989, I started hanging out with these two guys I had served on our residence student council with – Bruce and Larry. We hung out virtually every day. One weekend, Bruce was going home to see his folks near the Town of Killam, and invited us along. I recall bringing two things – my geometry assignment for the summer school math class I was talking, and “Diamond Mine”.

We were playing a board game, and I plugged it into Bruce’s tape player. I called particular attention to what, at the time, was my favourite song – “The Ballad of the Dime Store Greaser and the Blonde Mona Lisa”.

They didn’t think it was as cool as I did, but everyone’s tastes are different.

Howling at the moon
That was never more apparent than a few months later when I was living on Main Kelsey and the TV in the lounge was turned to MuchMusic. Some guys had come in to watch something else, but it was still a few minutes away. Then the video for “House of Dreams” started. I had never seen it, and asked if they could leave it on that channel for a couple minutes so I could watch it.

My good friend Apollo was particularly impatient, didn’t really like the song, and started howling like a wolf.

Like I said, everyone’s tastes are different.

Dramatic pause
The first time I saw Blue Rodeo in concert was at the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium in the Fall of 1990. When they slowed things down and started playing “The Ballad of the Dime Store Greaser and the Blonde Mona Lisa”, there is a natural pause part way through the song. At that moment, some obnoxious listener started yelling about the song.

The very next line Greg Keelor sang was, “Like a jerk that butts into the front of the line…”

It drew a lot of cheers from the crowd, including me.

You can’t make this stuff up.

The Rookies
In the Spring of 1991, I was home from university, my parents had just moved to Lethbridge, and I watched a lot of television.

One of the movies I watched, and would actually see again in the Springs of 1992 and 1993, was on CBC Channel 9 on the peasant vision dial. It was called “The Rookies”, and was about two junior hockey players, played by Yannick Bisson and Ian Tracey, and their experiences with the fictional Oshawa Blades. In remember one particular scene when “Try” was playing.

I like the fact a Canadian production actually used Canadian music.

The years after
As the 1980s ended, Blue Rodeo was just getting going. To date, they have released 16 full-length studio albums and four live albums. I have seen them twice at the Jubilee Auditorium, twice at the Sportsplex in Lethbridge, and once at the Big Four Building in Stampede Park in Calgary. I have concert shirts from all five, and own their first four albums.

They continue to be one of my favourite bands of all time.

Blue Rodeo has won a total of 11 Junos and been nominated 31 times. They have won the Juno for Group of the Year in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, and 2008. They won Single of the Year and Best Video in 1989, both for “Try”; Music DVD of the Year in 2005 for “In Stereovision”; Video of the Year in 2008 for “C’mon”; Adult Alternative Album of the Year in 2008 for “Small Miracles”; and Music DVD of the Year in 2009 for “Blue Road”.

In 2009, they were inducted into Canada’s Walk of Fame; were inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 2012; received a Governor General’s Performing Arts Award for lifetime artistic achievement in 2014; and recently Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor were inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Parting thoughts
The music of Blue Rodeo has permeated my life since I was 18 years old. There are so many songs I just love, and I keep hearing new ones.

They may be, more than any other single band, the single biggest contributor to the soundtrack of my life – and it all started in the ‘80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment