We were out in front of the stage, the strobe lights from Sounds Unlimited flashing all around, and she was belting out the words…
“Oh Mickey, what a pity you don’t understand…”
It was one of my first junior high dances, and one of the first times a girl older than me asked me to dance.
It was 1982, and the song was “Mickey” by Toni Basil.
It is her birthday today, reminding me of that dance and much more.
The song
“Mickey” may be one of the biggest one hit wonders of the ‘80s. Wikipedia reveals it was actually a cover of the song “Kitty”, released in 1979 by the band Racey. Basil added the chant “Oh Mickey, you’re so fine”, something the original song did not contain.
“Mickey” may be one of the biggest one hit wonders of the ‘80s. Wikipedia reveals it was actually a cover of the song “Kitty”, released in 1979 by the band Racey. Basil added the chant “Oh Mickey, you’re so fine”, something the original song did not contain.
The song was released on January 3, 1982 and went all the way to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart as well as Canada and Australia.
It was later spoofed in 1983 by Weird Al Yankovic, with his parody “Ricky”. It was a homage to Lucy and Ricky Ricardo from the 1950s comedy “I Love Lucy”.
Words get in the way
One night, my parents and I were visiting at my sister’s, and my cousin Doris was also there. I had the “Mickey” ear worm in my head, and was singing it over and over. My cousin kept correcting me because I was getting the words wrong.
One night, my parents and I were visiting at my sister’s, and my cousin Doris was also there. I had the “Mickey” ear worm in my head, and was singing it over and over. My cousin kept correcting me because I was getting the words wrong.
I often did.
The artist
Although Toni Basil may have been a one-hit wonder as a singer, she has had a prolific career in dance and acting as well.
Although Toni Basil may have been a one-hit wonder as a singer, she has had a prolific career in dance and acting as well.
Her dance career started in 1964 when she was an assistant choreographer as well as dancer on “Shindig!” Later that year she was a lead dancer in “Pajama Party” and a dancer in the Elvis Presley movie “Viva Las Vegas”. Basil choreographed films in the 1960s such as “Village of the Giants”; “The Cool Ones”; and the Monkees’ 1968 film “Head”. She also choreographed some episodes of “The Carol Burnett Show”.
Basil would go on to choreograph music videos by the Talking Heads such as “Once in a Lifetime”; tours for David Bowie including his “Glass Spider Tour” in 1987; and work with Bette Midler and Tina Turner. Basil would also be a guest judge on “So You Think You Can Dance?”
She did film choreography for movies such as “American Graffiti”; “The Rose”; “Peggy Sue Got Married”; “Something to Talk About”; “That Thing You Do”; “My Best Friend’s Wedding”; “Legally Blonde”; and “Charlie Wilson’s War”.
Basil also had an acting career, appearing in movies such as “Easy Rider”; “Five Easy Pieces”; “The Last Movie”; “Mother, Jugs & Speed”; and others; and television shows such as “Laverne & Shirley”; “Dark Justice”; and “Baywatch Nights”.
Parting thoughts
“Mickey” is an ear worm that takes me back to that junior high dance every time I hear it, and to that moment in my sister’s kitchen when my cousin corrected me on the song’s words.
“Mickey” is an ear worm that takes me back to that junior high dance every time I hear it, and to that moment in my sister’s kitchen when my cousin corrected me on the song’s words.
What I did not know was just how interesting and long a career Toni Basil had as a dancer, choreographer and actor.
It’s ironic, because I have never seen the video for “Mickey”.
No comments:
Post a Comment