Monday 12 September 2022

Olivia Newton-John: Talented performer, courageous person

Olivia Newton-John released "Physical" in 1981, not only making it one of the top songs of the decade but an anthem for the burgeoning fitness craze.
Source: https://totally80s.com/index.php/article/september-1981-olivia-newton-john-releases-physical
(Photo: Peter Bischoff/Getty Images)
(May be subject to copyright)

One minute she was an exchange student at Rydell High providing the soundtrack for a high school musical and the next she was providing the soundtrack for the burgeoning fitness craze of the ‘80s.

Such was the life of Olivia Newton-John.
 I was thinking all about “Grease” and “Physical” a few weeks ago when I heard she had passed away, far too young with so much left to give.

You’re the movie I want
“Grease” was my first exposure to Olivia Nrewton-John. Although coming out in 1978, my cousin Doris just loved the movie and the soundtrack even more and played it in the 1980s. Since we were neighbours, and spent a lot of time together especially in the summertime, I ended up hearing the “Grease” soundtrack a lot.

I absolutely loved the “Grease” soundtrack too, which spent 12 non-consecutive weeks at number on the Billboard charts, and gave Newton-John three top five singles. “You’re the One That I Want” went all the way to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 singles; “Hopelessly Devoted to You” went to number three, and was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Song in 1979; and “Summer Nights” which went to number five on the charts.

Eventually, I bought the “Grease” soundtrack at a garage sale, but actually seeing the movie was another matter. Initially, I found out about it when, once more following Doris’ lead, I bought the “Grease” fotonovel. It was a book of pictures outlining the movie. It also printed all the lyrics of every song. I recall reading it on the car ride to church with my dad one Sunday morning.

Actually seeing it back in the early 1980s meant I had to wait until it aired on TV. Back then I did not have a VCR, and when I did, I didn’t really rent any movies because, living on the farm, I had no way of getting back to town to return them on time. “Grease” finally aired on Channel 13. It was cut up by commercials and certain parts were either completed cut out, or words were “bleeped”. It was okay, but not exactly what I expected after reading the fotonovel.

I never saw it uncut until Grey Cup Sunday in 1996, when I watched it with my then girlfriend while wait for the football game to start.

Back in the movies
As the decade dawned in 1980, Olivia Newton-John was back in the movies, appearing in “Xanadu” with Gene Kelly and Michael Beck. I recall visiting my Uncle Ed one week night, when my cousin Nina came back from the movies. She had been to see “Xanadu” and explained that Olivia Newton-John played an ageless Greek muse sent to give inspiration to a struggling artist.

The movie did not do well at the box office, but again yielded a bunch of hits. The album peaked at number four on the charts, and two singles I recall are “Magic” which went to number one on the Billboard Hot 100; and the title track “Xanadu”, which was recorded with the Electric Light Orchestra and went all the way to number eight on the Billboard Hot 100.

Newton-John was nominated for a Grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for “Magic”, and it was Newton-John’s biggest hit to that point.

But something even bigger was on he way.

Getting physical
In 1981, Olivia Newton-John released “Physical” which would go on to spend 10 weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100, tying the record at that time set by Debby Boone’s “You Light Up my Life” for most weeks at number one. “Physical” was ultimately the biggest song of the decade, and Newton-John was again nominated for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for the song.

Newton-John filmed an exercise-themed video that became the soundtrack for gyms and aerobics classes all over the world, and popularized head bands and Spandex.

I will always remember going to a junior high dance where two girls in the grade ahead of me were wearing leg warmers and head bands. When “Physical” played, they danced, basically doing aerobics, and sunk to the floor doing splits.

The song was influential in so many ways.

There would be another single off that album, “Make a Move on Me,” that peaked at number five on the Billboard Hot 100.

You again
Olivia Newton-John teamed up with John Travolta, her co-star in “Grease”, for the movie “Two of a Kid” in 1983. She played a bank teller while Travolta played an inventor who tried to rob her. They now must show compassion for each other to delay God’s judgment on Earth.

The movie was another box office failure, but the soundtrack yielded the single “Twist of Fate”, which I really liked. So much so that one Friday in Grade 9, I was not able to get “Twist of Fate” out of my head when my friend Joe Darveau came home with me one weekend from school. I kept singing the song on the bus all the way home – and I hadn’t even seen the movie.

“Twist of Fate” went all the way to number five on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Newton-John’s last top 10 hit on the Bilboard charts.

Last look
Olivia Newton-John’s chart success reached its zenith. The last song I recall her releasing was “Soul Kiss” in 1985. I saw it in a piece on “Entertainment Tonight”, but it just didn’t resonate like her previous songs had. The charts proved that, as it made it as far as number 29 on the Hot 100.

It really was not that memorable, and I recall thinking that.

The years after
Olivia Newton-John would continue recording, but became known for much more than music. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992, beating it, and becoming an advocate for breast cancer research, and several other causes. Her cancer reappeared in 2017, when she revealed she had a recurrence in 2013. It had now spread to her bones.

She died on Aug. 8, 2022, at the age of 73.

Parting thoughts
As impressive as Olivia Newton-John’s musical career was, what was really impressive was her courageous struggle with cancer. She beat it twice. She also advocated for breast cancer research and so much more, before cancer finally took her life.

She always presented herself with class and dignity on stage, and that was amplified in the way she handled her illness.

I will always like her for all that great music she made in the ‘80s, but I will admire her for the courage she showed in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment