Tuesday 1 September 2020

My first mixed tape: Remembering Charlie Daniels' "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"

It was one of the first songs I heard that really told a story. It was an epic battle between good and evil

What made “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” even more memorable was that it appeared on the first mixed tape I ever received – not from a girl or anything like that, but at Christmas from my older brother who was trying, in his own way, to expose me to a variety of music.

All these memories came back in July when I heard Charlie Daniels died. He was 83.

Hearing the story
Each verse is almost spoken as the Devil comes down to Georgia, where he happens upon Johnny and tries to get his soul. He proposes a duel, the Devil against Johnny, the self-professed best fiddle player around. The stakes are high. Johnny wins, he gets a golden fiddle. He loses and the Devil gets his soul.

It is an amazing struggle, as we hear both combatants play their best.

Then the Devil concedes, giving Johnny the golden fiddle.

As a parting shot, Johnny says, “I done told you once, you son of a bitch, I’m the best that’s ever been.”

The song went to number one on the country charts and all the way to number three on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1979.

It became a crossover hit the next year after appearing on the soundtrack of “Urban Cowboy” starring John Travolta, and even made an appearance in the movie.

Christmas present to remember
It was the Christmas of 1985, and my brother had brought a present for me. It was a pair of tapes he had made for me of music of various genres. His wife later told me he spent hours recording these tapes, and wondered if I would like some of the music. My brother said he was trying to show me a bit of everything.

Along with Boston, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin was Charlie Daniels.

My sister-in-law said she was skeptical I would like some of the stuff my brother was recording for me, but I understand now the whole idea was to give me a little bit of a lot of different stuff.

It worked, because I really liked it all.

And it remains the only copy of “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” that I own.

Telling the story
When I went to university, the student association put on a variety of activities to get everyone to mix and mingle. One, at the beginning of September, was a week-long festival of activities on a western theme called, “Mac County Fair”. There was a slo-pitch tournament, scavenger hunt, and in 1989, a lip sync.

The lip sync had to tell a story. “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” immediately came to mind because it tells such a great story. For the life of me, I could not remember the name of the song though. It didn’t matter because our unit went in a different direction.

It was a good thing too, because not one but two other units did “The Devil Went Down to Georgia”, with one winning it all. It was actually the unit we were chasing for first place too.

Still, I remember Brad McInenley, who I came to know later, did a great job as the narrator and singer, and the props, including the devil jumping on a hickory stump, and later jmping up and down in anger after losing, were excellent too.

They picked the perfect song with the perfect story to win it all.

Parting thoughts
“The Devil Went Down to Georgia” is one of those songs that will always stick out, because of its unique sound, its excellent lyrics, and the story it tells.

I am sure it ensured Charlie Daniels’ immortal soul is intact, and he will never have to battle the devil for his soul.


Rest in peace Charlie.

No comments:

Post a Comment